All Sports Schedule

Men's Soccer Drops Sun Belt Quarterfinal Match 2-0 to Marshall

Sun Belt Conference

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The Old Dominion men's soccer team had its season come to a close on Sunday as the Monarchs dropped their Sun Belt Championship quarterfinal match to top-seeded Marshall, 2-0 at Hoops Family Field.

Scoreless at the break, the No. 4 Thundering Herd broke through in the 60th minute as Matthew Bell found Pablo Simon on the right side of the box, who rolled it past a diving Michael Statham for the 1-0 Marshall lead. The hosts then added an insurance goal in the 85th minute as Marco Silva dribbled up the right endline to draw the attention of an ODU defender. Silva made the quick pass to Augustin Iusem, who then shot across Statham to the back left corner of the net.

Michael Eberle led ODU's attack with three shots, and Jonas Schmalbach and William Arnesen had two shots each. In goal, Statham recorded five saves on the afternoon. The Monarchs (5-7-5) combined for 12 shots in the game, six in each half, but were limited to just two corners.

"Really disappointing for our season to come to an end," said associate head coach Tennant McVea. "That's two times we've played Marshall this year and come up short. I thought the boys played extremely well for about 60 minutes. We had chances early in the first half to score that at this level, you've got to take those chances. One-nil up and it's a different game. So I think moving forward for us, that's what we've got to do. Take a chance and hopefully stay in the game a little bit longer. But credit to Marshall, they're a fantastic side and move the ball really well."

Marshall's first real threat came in the fourth minute as Aymane Sordo put a left-footed shot towards the right side of the net, however it hit the post and was cleared away. A few minutes later, Eberle dispossessed a Marshall defender in the left corner and sent a cross into the middle of the box towards Schmalbach. Schmalbach got a foot on the ball, but his shot was met by Herd keeper Gabriel Perrotta and kicked away by Marshall's back line.

ODU had its first chance at a set piece when Key White was awarded a free kick in the 16th minute. White's cross into the box was headed away by a Marshall defender, though the ball stayed within the 18-yard box. Alex Render then curled a shot towards goal, but it sailed just over the crossbar. ODU had another second-chance effort in the 20th minute as Eberle tried to locate a shot into the top right corner, but Perrota was in position to make the save.

Karan Mandair was awarded a free kick just outside of the box in the 25th minute, but his low line drive was cleared away by the Herd. Arnesen dribbled past his defender and put a left-footed shot on frame from 25 yards out, but Perrota was again there for the save. Marshall was given a penalty kick with 1:21 to play in the opening half, but couldn't capitalize as Adam Aoumaich's attempt went off the post.

White showed off his speed early in the second half as he raced up the right side, but his shot in the 49th minute went off Perrota's knee. Later in the 56th minute, ODU earned a corner kick but couldn't break through Marshall's defense as a David Strmsek shot was blocked. A Schmalbach attempt in the 72nd minute was saved by Perrota, and a late shot by Nicholas Alves in the 89th minute was off target.